Submitted: 10-10-2009 by Trexpaddle
I am a woman 5'2" tall and weigh about 127 lbs. In the past used the Poly Avocet to teach strokes and rescues in because of the resilience of plastic. At a recent boat show I tried the Avocet LV and fell in love with it, because of the fit. I went home with one. I have had people 6 170 lbs that can fit into its cockpit they love its playfulness and I have had to ask for my boat back.

I have used many boats over the years. From the Lincoln Isle au Haut at 17' with a 22.5" beam. The Isle au Haut is a fast and has high initial stability. It is a good expedition boat. The NDK Romany at 16' and a 20.5" beam is another good boat, but more for the mid-size paddler than a smaller one. The regular Avocet is comparable in performance to the Romany, but with less rocker, which makes the Avocet better in a beaming wind.

The Avocet LV is the performing sea boat for the smaller serious paddler. At 15'11" in length and a 20.5" beam it keeps up easily with 17' boats. It handles 4' surf and a following sea wonderfully. It edges with ease and stability. It is a cinch to roll. The new and improved back bands, which Valley has available are very comfortable and allows a layback roll. The hatches are a job to put on, but knowing that your hatches are completely water tight makes it worth the effort.

At 46lbs. in weight I can easily load and unload it from on top of a car or trailer. The quality of workmanship and the design make this the ideal boat for the smaller person that wants one boat that will last as long as they want to keep paddling and that will never tire of.
I give this boat a 10 out of 10