Submitted: 07-12-2000 by Dan

The Old Town Loon 111....I sort of bought this boat on a whim....upon paddling a rental 100, and I'm glad that I spent the money on this boat. It's a great first kayak for a medium sized paddler...if that's what I am. I live in the Sarasota, FL area where there is an immense amount of paddling possibilities, most of which this boat will handle and make the paddler not regret the choice of boats. I have to this point only paddle canoes, so imagine the change for me. The boat is not a light-weight for an eleven foot boat, but it's not heavy compared to a canoe, either. With it's adjustable seat and foot pegs, you can easily trim the boat for better tracking or for easier turns. But, it turns very well when put on edge. I read a review by someone who has tipped a couple of Loons and is looking for something more stable....whoever you are, I have news for you. Ain't gonna happen, my friend. This kayak is stable as they come. It's not the fastest boat out there, but it's certainly not the slowest kayak, either. A lot of boat for the money, that's for sure. I've handled 2' seas easily with this kayak, although be sure that you're willing to do some work when you're in rough conditions....but that should apply to any sea kayaking, for sure. This is a good, all around kayak that will handle most moderate sea conditions with a competent paddler.