Submitted: 10-02-2009 by bobdvm
I agree completely with the previous review. I have an EFT instead of a Thunderbolt, but the seats are similar. And I had very similar issues, with back-chafing against the backband. Additionally, I had managed to chew up up something over my left "sit bone" (ischial tuberosity) and kept reinjuring it when rotating, in spite of using a Skwoosh pad, custom padding, etc. The Bumfortable made everything right and all that discomfort is nearly forgotten in the past. And it dropped into the EFT like it was made for it. I also put the seat into a Necky Looksha that I used in the Blackburn - being able to use the same seat in every boat is an advantage.

For installation I also used velcro, but I wouldn't trust the self-adhesive - it doesn't seem to be waterproof enough, and can't really bond to the epoxy-glass matrix. I prepped the surfaces then painted in a double layer of industrial contact cement on everything, making sure to run the velcro up the front and back edges of the seat so that the force of tearing the velcro faces apart doesn't fall on a weak butt end, and running the velcro both ahead and behind the attachment section, on the floor of the hull, for the same reason. Then I sealed all edges of the velcro with Aquaseal. Also, I masked (with masking tape - it has stayed stuck ever since so I guess it's ok) both sides of the velcro strips on the underside of the seat to make them effectively only about 1" wide instead of the full 2". There is more "stick" than you actually need with the velcro, and it's quite a wrench to tear the seat out otherwise, and stresses the attachment. This way, if the velcro starts losing strength eventually I can unmask the sides to bring it back up to strength.

A side-benefit of the Bumfortable is that the high sides of the seat serve to pad the balance point for carrying the boat on my shoulder.