Submitted: 07-12-2000 by JML

The Eclipse was a gift, and much appreciated. However, in class III water I managed to cause serious damage to the bottom, with the outer layer of the "royalex light" tearing and pealing away as a result of running across rocks. No question I abused the boat. This is not what it was made for, and MR makes that clear in its literature. I understood that it was made from royalex, but hadn't checked it out thoroughly before heading down-river, and didn't know about "royalex light." Buyers should be aware that this boat is not tough enough for "white water" of any kind. It's a nice, lightweight boat for flat water and maybe class II. Also, I should note that the coating readily peals away from the aluminum gunwales -- at three years old, they look like old anodized spars, with the black pealing off all over the place. Hard to say I love the boat. It is a fine little boat for the money, as long as you treat it only to the relatively quiet conditions it was made for.