Submitted: 09-29-2009 by amitgoswami

I have been paddling Nemo for the fourth weekend now. Also this is my first boat, I did extensive research to come upon my Decision to buy Nemo.
I wanted a boat for day paddles as I will be doing that the most. I wanted a boat to be efficient and fast in water. After looking at Necky, Valley, Wilderness system, Current Design, Epic. I narrowed down to Valley Rapier, Epic 18x and Nemo. Rapier is not easy to find from East to West coast. I like Epic 18x, it was very similar to Nemo but the hatches seemed like would leak water, if I was rolling the kayak, since they are attached with just straps. Also the rudder was rather different and I was wondering if it would have enough bite in the water.

Nemo had a wonderful finish, its really light, bright orange color for visibility, nice rudder now its retractable (which was much needed). This boat is fast and its easy for even a beginner like me to keep up with pros. The kayak is a good fit, I am 5'10", 160 pounds. The seat does not have a back band, and the first time I paddled it, my abdominal muscles were hurting. So I placed some foam blocks behind the seat which worked great.

The boat is hard to turn, the reason its so fast since it has minimal rocker. But I never need to make sharp turns in open water. I use Seal neoprene 1.4 size spray skirt which works great. The hatches are made of nice rubber and provide a good seal. The hatches are not tethered to the boat, I am not sure if that makes a difference. Gray, the owner of the company, is very quick to respond to my emails and thus I get a quick personal response.

Bottomline: if you are looking for fast fun kayak, Nemo is top of the line. Happy paddling