Submitted: 07-11-2000 by Lou

The Bayou 160 is a very good special purpose canoe. The hull is somewhat flexible neoprene, able to withstand bumps from rocks, cuts from oyster beds, etc. and is reinforced with an inner "sandwich" hull to aid stiffness and also provide foam flotation between the hulls. The 43" beam makes it steader than most (& harder to paddle) while the bottom of the boat has what the manufacturer calls "keels" & what I call ridges about 1" high. This gives the boat good direction under windy conditions (& less manuverabilty by paddle). In short, the boat is exceptionally suitable for power by an electric trolling motor or gas powered up to a rated 5 hp (I would suggest closer to 2 or 3). The 930 lb capacity can easily carry two batteries plus crew & etc. The boat is nicely detailed out. The one question I have regarding durability is the seats. They seem to be neoprene held in position by 4 screws on each side. My concern is that they might tear. Time will tell. So far, they have held my 200# fine. I am well satisfied for my application (with Minn-Kota 70# thrust electric motor) and would buy it again if needed.

New York Kayak Co.: