Submitted: 09-21-2009 by kayak22
I recently had the good fortune of stumbling upon a used 2002/2003 X-Ray for sale in our local classifieds. Having been in the market for a fiberglass boat for a few years, I was excited to pick this boat up for a very reasonable price. I'd never heard of Point 65N, but I have to say that they make a terrific boat, and I have had lots of questions regarding the boat, especially where you can buy one!

It is very fast, I've done several 10+ mile paddles averaging 6 mph without completely killing myself. It has terrific stability, a bit tipping initially, but once you've spent a few hours in it you learn to appreciate the hull design that much more. The hull also cuts through large waves with ease. On a 35 mile paddle we got into some 2-3 footers, and I stayed dry all the way across the bay, with 50+ pounds of gear. It also tracks straighter than any other boat I've ever paddled, which is good and bad...see below. The large cockpit makes for easy entry/exit, and I appreciate the extra foot room. At 6'2" and 195 lbs, this is truly the best fitting boat I have ever paddled!

My only complaints are with regard to the complicated, not very user-friendly rudder system, which I have since removed. The boat can be hard to steer, due to it's dimensions, but what do you expect as you close in on 17'? And the other issue I have is related to some gel coat cracking, which is repairable, but not something that I would have expected on a boat that seems to be of superb overall quality.

If you can find one, buy it! You won't be disappointed, unless you are looking for a racing kayak, or a tugboat, this is about as nice an all-around sea kayak as you will find.

Schitt Creek Paddle Wear: