Submitted: 09-16-2009 by kayakr

I'm a 200lb, 6' long time ww and surf kayaker but new to sea kayaks and distance.
Demo'd the Capella versus several other 16' playful class kayaks, Chatham and Tempest, etc. Capella seemed faster and better tracking, but then also was super comfortable leaned on edge for turns either at speed or rest. Other boats seemed quite twitchy on edge. Other boats spun faster when flat but seemed to suffer in speed and tracking. Edged turns reminded me on my english gate practice back in the old dancer style boats. Best of both worlds.

Did some roll, reentry and roll, paddle float entry practice. Rolling was way easy skirt or not. First outing, paddled 8 miles in wind, fog and chop, comfortably going 1/2 mile offshore solo. Got some light surfing in. 2nd outing paddled 12 miles in 3 hours on the river and decided no feather might be nicer on the wrists. 3rd outing, explored double overhead bowling offshore reef breaks in 14 sec surf after tiring in the surf boat. Hmm, yes, must surf them soon in the finned boat. Super comfortable and confidence inspiring boat. Maybe overconfidence inspiring, so I put in a foot operated bilge pump just in case I ever dump it off shore in the long cold water season we have in the NE.

Happy with the boat but unfortunately I've now gotten the go-fast bug and can't stop looking at paddles and surf skis.