Submitted: 09-16-2009 by kobzol

I purchased a used Quajariaq last weekend. After a 30 minute test paddle I knew this boat would work for me. I am about 230 lbs, 6' tall and shrinking. I have bigger than average thighs.

This Quajariaq is one of the first models from 2005. It has the rope skeg which is something I need to get used to. Lowering the skeg is fairly easy by loosening the rope although I don't really have a good feel on how much it dropped as I would have from a wire skeg. Raising the skeg is actually a hard pull - that is something I don't like. I don't like yanking on things too much. For that I take away one point.

Before I even considered test paddling this boat I've done a lot of research on it. From my findings I concluded that this boat is ideal for a paddler way over 200 lbs. The boat has a fairly high rocker and if you're not heavy enough to sink the two ends into the water it will spin like a dreidel. This makes it a great rockgarden playboat for a larger paddler. When I sit in the boat it still feels playful but it does track well and maintains respectable speed. If I drop the skeg 1/3 of the way down it's almost perfect for touring.

The deck is low and should be great for Greenland rolling to help ease your torso on the back deck. I love the feel of the hard chines. Even though the boat is narrow and tippy the hard chines stop it from going over - this results in a stable feeling while you're in the waves.

My layup seems to be extra thick. I haven't weighed the boat but it is definitely my heaviest boat. I would say between 50 and 60 lbs.
FYI: The name of this boat has been discontinued. First they called it Qajariaq, then Q-Boat and now it is called Anas Acuta HV.