Submitted: 09-14-2009 by Sean Kennedy

The Illusion by Sterling Kayak (www.sterlingskayak.com/) is one of the most enjoyable kayaks that I have paddled and now own. It tracks straight and is fast yet can also turn on a dime. For its narrow beam, 21.5" it feels extremely stable. I have been in cross wave and the kayak handles it with ease. It has a skeg, but I have never felt that I needed to use it. And the hand carved seat is extremely comfortable.

I had a NDK Explorer. In comparing the two I think the Illusion will give the Explorer a run for its money. The Illusion has been getting high marks from advance paddler for its construction, comfort, and maneuverability. As an intermediate paddler I would recommend this kayak to anyone from beginner to advance. If you have a chance to try one, do so. I think you will be impressed.

If you visit their website, view the video "Warren Williamson Skookumchuck" for amazing footage of the Illusion in conjunction with the Explorer surfing a large fast moving river wave. And I would also recommend checking out (kayaksuccor.wordpress.com/.../sterlings-kayaks-illusion-review-part-1/) for a more in depth review.