Submitted: 09-10-2009 by GS

After researching numerous manufacturers, styles, kayak models, etc online - and then demo-ing three different boats (courtesy of our local outfitter store), we fell in love with the Expedition Sport. My wife and I each bought one (arrived just a week ago)and have spent three days straight on the water with them. Great kayaks both in performance and in appearance! They look like composites yet cost just marginally more than their more traditional roto-molded competitors. It doesn't hurt that they weigh about 10 lbs less than their counterparts either. They draw attention on the water too. The high gloss finish and the quality of the workmanship just stands out. We're very pleased.

These are our first kayaks, and we wanted something that we could enjoy for a long time. The Expedition Sport is a perfect balance of great looks, swiftness, stability and tracking. Even more important to me was it's ease of entry. The larger cockpit was a necessity for me. I'm 6'3" so getting in and out of a more traditional cockpit was challenging to say the least! Although my wife could fit in just about any kayak made, she also opted for this larger cockpit version - and has no regrets. It just works great for us.

Only negative (and it's minor) is the seat backrest adjustment. It's an extremely well made and comfortable seat in general, but both of us like the back raised up. This seat has a simple ratcheting system that allows you to raise the back several inches. Problem is that it doesn't like to stay up! I found an easy fix by tying some string across the ratcheting part so that it will no longer spring open - but I shouldn't have to "fix" anything on a new boat. A minor design flaw that is quickly overlooked in what is overall an absolutely wonderful kayak!