Submitted: 09-02-2009 by cwerdal

I am moving up to the Hurricane Tracer from a rec boat (CD Kestrel OC.) While I appreciated the Ketstrel's stability I soon felt (after 2 months and trying several other touring/sea kayaks) that the Kestrel was not challenging enough. While I have a had a bit of a challenge adjusting to the initial stability of the Tracer, I am making good progress (for a novice) in controlling the boat. The boat has plenty of challenges left for me to explore and that is what I was looking for.

For some novices paddlers it maybe too big a jump to go from a beamy rec boat to a sea kayak. So far, it working out really well for me and I love the boat. It will probably be the last boat I buy.

Note to others thinking of taking up kayaking from my experience: Take lessons FIRST before buying a boat, preferably from 2 different sources. Go to all the local store demo days and try every rec and touring kayak they have. Can't decide? Rent a boat you are interested in for a weekend. Try a Hurricane Tracer, I think you'll like it.