Submitted: 08-31-2009 by Slider

I got a used Synergy 12 about a month ago and I love it. I had the same problem as ROBERTOAZUCENA in that the bolts were missing on one handle. I didn't worry too much about this since it was just one and I could handle the boat okay. Last weekend though I lost the second one, on the other side. So I looked for a solution. I found that I could get to the inner side of the handles through the hatch on the floor, right in front of the seat. I got in and tightened the remaining bolts and was able to get some of the loose hardware out through the hatch. I went to a specialty fastener outlet in my area and got matching button head stainless steel bolts (typical local hardware stores did not have stainless steel) and I got some replacement teflon washers at Home Depot. I put the new bolts in this morning and it took about a half and hour, but you do need to be a bit of a contortionist. Normally there is a teflon washer on the inside, but I left it out hoping there would be more thread engagement, because I think this could be one of the problems. There seems to be very little thread engagement and with the teflon locking nuts the first few thread engagements are not teflon so they might not lock well. I did this work on my own, but having someone there to help wouldn't be a bad idea.