Submitted: 08-31-2009 by bhaskell

This is a first impressions review of the RTM Tempo Angler. The kayak is 15' long and 26" wide. The total weight of the yak is 55lbs. I'm 6' and 205lbs and the cockpit is a perfect fit for me. My feet fit firmly against the end of the foot well fully extended. The hull is the identical mold used for the legendary Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro series, the top deck has been modified from the OK design.

The kayak has a nice large front hatch, room in the center of the cockpit for a small hatch, rod holder or GPS. The rear of the kayak has a descent sized tank well with cargo net cover to secure your items. The seat area sits deep into the kayak and provides great lumbar support. On the water, the Tempo tracks very nice compared to my OK Scrambler XT and my Perception Sanibel. The kayak takes little effort to get moving and glides very well for a SOT. The hull has just enough rocker that is turns very easily for a long yak, very characteristic of the Scupper Pro. Paddling into the wind or cross wind affects the kayak very little.

I was able to pick up the yak brand new for $600 including high-back padded seat and paddle. For the price, there are few kayaks that would compare. RTM offers a 3 year warranty on the yak, which is pretty good. Based on the build quality, I don't foresee needing to use it. Anyone who has paddled a Scupper Pro, should be quite comfy in the Tempo. I have read that some paddlers thought the boat was a bit tippy, but I'm not professional paddler, but I was right at home in this yak. Being 6' tall, my center of gravity is higher then most, so those shorter should feel even more comfortable. The nice thing about this yak is that compared to there boats in this class, WS Tarpon 140, Emotion Grand Slam and the Red Fish, this boat is about 15lbs lighter. Did I mention all of the deck loops, paddle holder, built in rod holders, and perimeter deck line. For the price of this boat, why buy a used one?

On a side note, RTM is a french company who used to make boats for Ocean Kayak before they were bought by Johnson Marine. The same high quality plastics and rotomolds are used.
I will post an updated review once I get more time in the yak, but first impression on the lake have me very excited for more time in this yak.