Submitted: 08-27-2009 by DVRichard

I have had my Penobscot 17 for over eleven years. It was the first canoe I purchased. I rented several others before, then did a lot of research to find the right one. After 11 years, I have never regretted my decision. My family and I have done backcountry camping with this boat with 2 kids, 2 adults and lots of gear. My wife is not exactly a "lightweight camper". (she's not big, its just that she wants to bring a lot of gear.) We had no problem loading, paddling, or steering this fine craft. I had purchased 2 'sling seats' made by Old Town which clip over the gunnals. These were great for the kids.

I've also spent several hours with a friend, fly fishing from this boat and were very comfortable. My friend owns a Mad River Explorer and he was impressed with the way this boat handles. Lately my son (13 Yrs.old), takes it out on calm flat water BY HIMSELF and is able to move quite well in whatever direction he desires to go. He'll also pretend he is the Karate Kid and stand on the gunnals and balance himself.

Over the 11 years, our needs and useage of a canoe have changed and the Penobscot has met the challenge every time! It is light enough that I can put it up on a rack on the back of my truck by myself.