Submitted: 08-27-2009 by Guthrie

I recently inherited this from my grandfather's estate and I am pleased with it. It is a tank, but very stable even with a boat seat attached to the small seats. I recently paddled this solo and had no problems except the front end acting like a sail with a gust of wind, but it was nothing moving the paddle over to the other side couldn't fix. It tracked well and moved through choppy water decently.

I remember as a kid my grandparents taking this same canoe on a 10 day trip down the Talapoosa in Alabama/Georgia and never once flipped. If it was safe enough for my 60 year old grandmother for a week and a half, it will serve my family well. How someone tipped it over in the middle of a lake is a great question? The canoe is very stable and floats in less than 6 inches of water. For the record, I am 6'1" and around 300lbs and I had no problems in 6" water.

I plan to make a fishing table for it and use it on the local river in the next few weeks. Would I purposely go out and buy one? Probably not. I would look at Old Town (my parents have a Tripper that I will get one day) because I like it better, but if you can find one like this for cheap, don't hesitate.

Swift Canoe & Kayak: