Submitted: 07-10-2000 by JD Nance

This is my first tandem & my first flat water boat. I LOVE IT! My primary passenger is only 4 yrs old, so I considered the Twin Otter & 138T. I bought this one as a blem for about the same price as the 138T & Im glad I did! We went camping last week & had no problems fitting 3 days worth of gear & supplies in with us. I had paddled all 3 Old Town boats - the Twin Otter did fine with just me in the boat, but tracking was horrendous with two adults. The 138T would have worked, & if price is your primary consideration you can probably save about 100$ if you go with it - stability (my primary concern) was just about identical between the two. This boat is NOT good for river running (of just about any kind) or for serious sea kayakking, ie waves over the head type stuff. I didnt get the rudder, but I could see where it would come in handy on the ocean. On the lakes, even in fairly rough chop, it still tracks straight with no problems. The only real drawback is the weight - 74 pounds is not lite after 5 straight hours paddling! But for a boat as durable & stable as this it's a fair trade off.