Submitted: 08-27-2009 by robertohess

I purchased the Vasa kayak paddling ergometer about 2 years ago and reviewed it 18 months ago for the first time. This is an update a year and a half later.

The ergometer, I am pleased to report, still works, feels and sounds exactly the same as on the first day. There is no noticeable wear and tear whatsoever. It's been inside my garage for all this time with no maintenance whatsoever. Dust, etc., seems to have no ill effects on the machine. Best of all, the Vasa ergometer has allowed me to train consistently year around and gradually increase my paddling range to the point where I am able to paddle about 20 miles - in a Scupper Pro sit-on-top kayak, that is, not a fast sea kayak.

Last summer I finally fulfilled my dream of paddling/sailing to and circumnavigating Catalina Island, which involves a 22-mile open water crossing. Since then, I have gone two more times, each time paddling longer distances. (see http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/Destinations/CatalinaIsle.html)

I feel that without the Vasa kayak ergometer the crossings to Catalina Island may never have happened or would at least be much harder or less predictable in outcome. I don't even train more than once or twice a week, but I ALWAYS paddle at least once a week, rain or shine, sick or healthy. And when I do train, I can set the resistance of the machine to match the conditions (e.g., head winds) I will encounter in the open ocean.

All around, I feel that the Vasa kayak ergometer was one of the best investments I've ever made. As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for."