Submitted: 08-19-2009 by jaw

I paddled the Merlin XT cabonlite that my neighbor bought. It was a paddle of about 9 miles at the local lake. The first thing to impress me was the fact that it tracked very well. The second was edged turns. It is very responsive to edging. After getting all excited about how well it handled I was ready to cover some water and see if it had any real flaws. Well within a few miles all the excitement was gone as this kayak just does not glide through the water. I had brought my gps along to see if it was reasonably fast. It is not. As far as stability is concerned it is a little light but no more than many other kayaks. I never felt uneasy in the Merlin. I so wanted to like this boat but I need a kayak with some glide and the Merlin suffers in this area. It might be different for a lighter paddler but for me at 190lbs. this boat returned to little forward motion for the effort applied.