Submitted: 08-18-2009 by Andy

I own two Perception Sea Lions for 7+ years. One is plastic and one is fiberglass, both have held up very well. Like any kayak, storage and cleaning is key to making these materials last. I always wash them out and down after each trip, allow them to dry, and store them in a garage away from UV. The plastic has a bit better initial stability, but it slightly wider and lower deck than the fiberglass version. I am large guy and although the fiberglass version is a bit narrower, the fit is still very comfortable. Both can handle some rough seas, they are tricky in surf and can be tough launching from the beach in surf. Both track well, with the fiberglass version having less drag than the plastic and less weight. I've used both boats for multiple night camping trips, plenty of room for gear.

Yak Pads: