Submitted: 08-18-2009 by AK.xplorer

I happen to be fortunate enough to own two of these wonderful square stern canoes. My first one has a 6 hp suzuki two stroke. My latest one (identical green canoe) has a Tohatsu 9.8 hp four-stroke. With the 6 hp motor I did a moose hunt up in the interior of AK. I clocked 67 miles round trip and only burnt 5 gallons of gas. The massive capacity allowed me to push an entire quartered bull moose up 6 mph. current at 10 mph. (according to the gps.) This design of boat is not very fast (doesn't actually plane out).....but handles large loads and is highly efficient on fuel. This is a very important thing with the high prices of gas. My next trip will involve over 400 miles of yukon river (round trip). That's why I own two.....so the buddy team will bring us home safe in the event of an injury or a broke down motor. These boats are an Alaskan Sportsman's best friend. They'll do everything....it's too bad Old Town stopped production of this particular model......what the heck were they thinking??