Submitted: 08-14-2009 by SteveR

I have paddled the BWCA for decades, but never in a canoe with as many attributes as this one. The BlackGold with wood trim is first a looker, then it proves itself. I shall not repeat the kudos of other reviewers, save that I enjoy thinking back with good riddance on the 80+ lbs. canoes of my youth as I easily trek my Northwoods and a pack along a portage in my fifties.

As a note of caution to buyers considering this gem, I did find it very difficult to paddle into the wind with an inexperienced bow paddler and only fishing gear. The slightest wind would push the bow away from the wind and I would have to dig mightily in order to right the course. I had the same problem with solo paddling while empty, (save for some fishing gear) even when paddling from amidships.

This problem may be true of any canoe, but all hull design involves compromises. The lightness of weight and stability while heavily loaded come at a price while traveling lightly.