Submitted: 07-08-2000 by mdl

A new Old Town design. Bottom line, paddles and maneuvers well, even without the rudder (which I have on my boat). My problem with the boat is in my initial impression of the quality, even though I know, for the price, it's a lot of boat. My hull's bottom has numerous undulations, and the bow line that flares into the hull's bottom is pretty crooked. Does not seem to affect the directional stability, but it's sure noticable! The rudder is very stiff (too stiff) at this point, but it may loosen. The rudder cable tube exits are not well sealed and will have to be redone. The bulkheads are foam, and for some reason, OT has routered raw "smiles" on one side of each, apparently to fit the bulkheads to the hull. Odd! They seem to be sealed well, with no leaks to date. The hatches remove and replace rather easily. The performance is good, with pretty good acceleration and I believe they turn better (without rudder) than our Loons. The Nantucket has ample legroom for me (6' 1" / 190 lbs), but footspace is more limited than our Loons, not surprisingly. Ours did not come with a paddle holder and I plan to add one. I don't know whether it was an oversight or not, but the catalog says they would have one. Again, I know for the money that it's a lot of boat, but the items mentioned above just leave me a little less than absolutely thrilled with it. I'm sure I'll learn to love it, however! Should be a good boat for OT.

Aqua-Bound: