Submitted: 08-10-2009 by Friar Chuck

I've had my Kaos only about 2 months and love it, but I was bugged by the fountain of water that came gushing up from the drain hole while sliding left or right on a wave. So, I've been working on something to counteract the problem. I cut a half round, plastic plate (using the blade of a large plastic putty knife, though maybe a round cut out from a plastic 5 gal. bucket may work just as well), allowing about 1/2" of spacing to overlap the oblong hole in the bottom; drilled 2 holes (center like) about 1.5 inches apart. I also drilled 2 holes in a 5" piece of 1 x 2 about the same width apart and ran a 1/8" piece of nylon cord (about 10 inches long w/ a knot at the trailing end), through one of the holes in the wood, down one of the holes in the plating, then round and back up the other hole, then back through the second hole in the 1 x 2, then knotted that end as well. I insert the wooden piece from the bottom through the drain hole and simply twist the wood to wind up the cord, thereby tightening the plating to the bottom of the kayak, thus preventing the 'fountain' while at the same time allowing the boat to drain due to the oblong hole at the bottom. There's enough ridging in the boat to stop the 1 x 2 from unwinding. And... I solved most of the problem of water seeping into the kayak while I'm in the surf by using Vaseline petroleum jelly on the threads of the drain plug and the threads of the cap for the storage unit. It also aids in the extraction of the plug as well. At least all this works for me; ...good luck!

PFD Buyers' Guide: