Submitted: 08-10-2009 by cliffrnatp
Stability is relative. Even today, with all the new skis on the market, the S1X is still (IMHO) a front running hi performance ski. For me, it is definitely more stable than the V10 (I sold mine after paddling the S1X), or the Mako 6. I am inland (Philadelphia), and don't get much ocean practice. So, for me, I will take all the stability I can get. I have not paddled the Think Legend, but understand it is also one of the "fast but not terribly tippy" boats. I mostly paddle K1s, so I find all skis are in general stable on flat water. But, the S1X to me is noticeably more stable in open water than many others. Yes, there is some bow slap. The volume is enough for me (185lbs) on east coast seas, that the bow rides hi enough. I like the lower volume. It feels sleeker, and is less effected by winds.

My only complaint of the boat (and it may just be personal), is the seating position. I prefer the V10,V12 Mako 6 and Think Evo cockpits. The S1X feels to be paddling up hill. I have heard this from other paddlers as well. I have also heard the S1x special is improved here. Mine is a fixed dual foot well that is a tiny too big for me, and my calves rest on the well. I have used the adjustable dual foot wells and found it a little better, but no where near the paddling position of the other listed boats. Note, I have never tried their single footwell.

The boat is light (24lbs) and very well built. The rudder system is by far the best in the business, and there are a ridiculous array of rudders available from Huki. I have personally seen several DNFs due to rudder problems that absolutely would not be an issue with the Hukis. I wish the others would follow suit. I have the wide seat, and am "almost" able to paddle the regular (narrower) seat. I fit the V10 perfectly, and the V12 too (32" jeans). For a guy like me (mid pack paddler) this boat is great. If I lived on the coast and paddled open water daily, stability would not be an issue at all, and I would probably get a V12 just for the seating comfort (a little more like a K1). But, I feel I am probably faster in the S1X due to the extra stability. It is also more relaxing to paddle because of this.

Comparing this to a thunderbolt (which I have owned), is to compare apples and oranges. I would compare with Epic v10 and V12, Mako 6, Think Legend, Custom Kayaks new Synergy etc. The Huki guys are great to deal with.