Submitted: 08-07-2009 by JT

A friend of mine bought a used Pamlico 160T that had a factory-installed 20 lb. thrust trolling motor. The battery goes between the seats. You can really pile the miles on with this setup. It's average GPS speed is 3.7 mph, close to what a long distance paddle speed would be. After going 40 miles, the 90 amp/hour battery we used was only discharged down to 50%, which is remarkable. Unfortunately, Wilderness Systems no longer sells the version with a trolling motor, but you can always install your own. (BTW, I'm not completely lazy; I own and use a sea kayak.)

The reason that I knocked three stars off the Pamlico is that it's the wettest ride I've ever had in a kayak. Bow and quartering waves soak the front seat passenger, and occasionally the back seat passenger as well, on larger lakes or when motorboats pass close by. If it's a cool day, this can be quite uncomfortable. It's bad enough that my friend who owns the boat wants me to make a wave deflector for the bow.

New York Kayak Co.: