Submitted: 08-03-2009 by JAM

I bought this canoe to use in the Yukon 1000 canoe race from Whitehorse Yukon to the Dalton Hwy in Alaska. The race organizer suggested the Jensen model for the race but I wanted something more versatile. I found several reviews that said the Tripper was fast, and one that gave an actual speed. I couldn't find anything like that for the Jensen. Now that I've seen the Jensen in action, the Tripper doesn't hold a candle to it's speed. So if your looking for a racing canoe go for the Jensen.

Now for the Trippers good points. It seems fairly maneuverable to me, once you know how to paddle. It goes a lot faster than my Old Town Guide 14'7 and is much more comfortable in rough water. During the race we had to cross Lake Labarge and we had a tail wind and 3 to 4 foot waves. The Tripper handled it great. A couple waves splashed over the gunnels but we had a spray skirt that kept most of the water out. The Jensen that was traveling with us looked like they would have been swamped if they didn't have a spray skirt. Don't get me wrong, the Tripper is still a canoe and if your headed into the waves, it doesn't take much to take on water. A spray skirt is wise to have in anything over 2 feet unless you know for certain its not gonna get any bigger.

The Tripper handles weight great as well. My Old Town is rated for 900 lbs but has very little free board with 500 lbs. The Tripper is rated at 1000 lbs. and barely looks like it has anything in it with 600 lbs. If you're looking for a good versatile Canoe that you can hold a 3 to 4 mph pace for long periods of time, and carry its rated weight comfortably, and maneuver fairly easily, I suggest the Clipper Tripper.