Submitted: 07-31-2009 by Rmplstlskn

I am a big paddler (6' @ 325 pounds) and I needed a kayak that would float my big butt and allow me to SAFELY transport my 6 year old daughter as well, and the Mad River Canoe HYBRID Synergy 14 works wonderfully in both these tasks.

This kayak floats 400 pounds so no problem there. This kayak also has DEEP seating and DEEP cargo holds, and my daughter fits wonderfully in the large rear cargo hold. She loves it back there, her feet and hands dragging lazily through the water as I paddle. Another plus, it stays DRY. It does not have scupper holes that keep you wet all day. If water gets in, just pump or sponge it out, just like a cockpit kayak. The Synergy 14 tracks very well and is fast for its size. It is also well made.

Some cons: foot rest bracket bows and flexes if you get on it while paddling and some of the mounting points are riveted into the poly and can get loose. None have popped off yet, but some are loose.
All in all, a GREAT BOAT!

Thunder Bay Tourism: