Submitted: 07-06-2000 by Brian

While living in Alaska I had the opportunity to use a Scanoe and did so for 5 seasons. It is tough and I thought very highly of it. A champion testimonial to the durability of the Ram-X material came from a local fish and game pilot who had one come loose from the rigging and fall from his float plane from a couple hundred feet up. The only parts needed to fix the boat where a new aluminum bowcap, the gunwales where straightened with heat. The plastic was unscathed.

I noticed a tendency for people to get excited here and post perfect 10's rather easily. No Coleman canoe product that I have ever seen deserves a 10 because toughness and longevity are two different things. The nature of the Ram-X material makes it decompose badly if left out in the sun for extended periods of time. If it can't sit outside without being pampered it's not a 10. UV light is no friend of a Coleman canoe. I live in Arizona now so we get more than our share of UV and if you don't have a garage or carport to store it under - it's just a matter of time. I realized this to the full extent when I went looking to purchase a Scanoe in Tucson. I for the life of me couldn't find a used boat without at least one gaping crack in it. The melted plastic fixes that the various owners tried where shoddy at best. One anxious seller proceeded to "fix" the boat right before my eyes with a bic lighter and some green weedwhip line. He made a big gummy mess and the crack popped apart a few minutes later. I could have bought a new Coleman for not much more but what's the point. If this is what I'd have to deal with down the road then... no thanks. Bottom line - Ram-X is tough as cobbs but if you leave it out in the sun - forget it. If you own one and truly love it, be nice to it and put some kind of roof over it's head.

I ended up purchasing a Grumman aluminum canoe that spent 24 years outdoors in the sun that remains unscathed - other than the faded drab paint.