Submitted: 07-27-2009 by NBKayak

I recently purchased the Pelican Elite Sound 120 and have had a most frustrating experience. The kayak was recommended by my local dealer as a good transitional craft. I am a relative beginner, although I have tried various canoes and kayaks and completed a 50 mile river trip in an 8' kayak where the primary characteristic was rough and wet weather. Thus, I was very surprised to find that I could not make the Sound 120 go straight to save my life! On the other hand, if you want to go in circles, the Sound 120 is the boat for you!

I finally resorted to an expert Licensed Maine Tour Guide to verify that the boat was the issue. Pros for this boat- it is spacious and the seat is very comfortable and easy to adjust, even on water. Fortunately the dealer is reputable and took the boat back for a full refund.
The Manitou 146 and the Cayuga 14 are both looking good after on-water demos.