Submitted: 07-06-2000 by Gordon

I bought my Discovery 169 several years ago when I didn't own a boat. Now I have three kayaks, and the Discovery doesn't get used as much, but I still enjoy getting it out on the bay. My daughter is also starting to enjoy taking it out with friends.

The boat is large enough to carry a lot of stuff, which is what I want in a canoe. It easily carried my wife and I, our two kids (when they were younger) side-by-side behind her, and Cousin Kasey in a high-backed beach chair just aft of amidships, plus an ice chest and a couple of large dry bags. I've also had it out with 5 adults in calm water. No problem.

It paddles easily and is very tough. I've had it now for about 7 years and it looks almost as good as new.

Several of the families we've been paddling with lately have had Colemans. There's nothing wrong with Colemans, especially for the price, but I'm glad we spent a little more for the Discovery.

Speaking of price, I think this boat was a good deal. It's heavier than Royalex or Kevlar, but it was much cheaper. I got it on sale at REI for a little over $600. And it's just about indestructible. Yes, it is heavy. Trying to carry it by myself from the top of the van to the water is somewhat daunting. But my wife and I manage it together just fine. Last night my (now)12-year-old daughter and her 12-year-old girlfriend carried it up from the water to the van - about 100 yards - by themselves.

This is a good boat for a family, and reasonably priced.