Submitted: 07-23-2009 by BearLeeAlive

I have had my Helman Prospector for over 5 years now. It is in a Dura-lite layup with wooden gunwales and trim. This is an extremely tough and forgiving layup, having ridden it upon many a river rock.

Its narrower bow does help it cut through water a bit faster then other Prospectors, but it also gives the bow paddler a better bath when going through rapids and heavy chop.

The workmanship of the hull was great, my only nitpick though was in the craftsmanship of the wood decks. They were planted on in what looks like an afterthought. Overall a very good build though.

I have done lots of tripping both on flat and bumpy water with it. Other then the aforementioned narrow bow, it does great on river travel, and is very responsive. On flat water it is OK, quite good for a Prospector design. I did however retire it from flat water in for a much faster Swift Winisk, and now use it for all my river travel.