Submitted: 07-20-2009 by circuitrider
I have been canoeing since I was 8; I am now 49. Well I didn't really canoe when I was 8 - I hung onto a rope with my brother as my Dad paddled our 17 foot Grumman down the Clarion River in PA. I was hooked. When I started actually paddling on canoe trips I loved it even more. All I knew were the trustworthy old work horse Grummans. So I continued to paddle that same Grumman I swam behind at 8.

I kept hearing good things about the Penobscot's. Seeing a good deal at a sporting warehouse. I snatched up a red one with aluminum gunnels. I have since had it back on the Clarion River and have also paddled a calm part of the Youghighaney several times. I love paddling it solo, kneeling just in front of the kneeling thwart. When you heel it over it more or less gives it the foot print of about a 12 foot boat and turns very easily.

I love it and look forward to enjoying for years. Maybe I will get to tow an 8 year old behind me.