Submitted: 07-13-2009 by Paul Erickson

I just found this site and thought my input on the Double Biadarka might be of interest. Bought the plans in 2001, I think the first set sold. After some starts and stops she was launched in May 2002. The launch day photo is in Eric's catalog. During construction I made some changes to the design.
  1. I had trouble working with 20' x 3" x 3mm planks during the fitting to the stem piece. I made female forms for every third station and built the hull inside the firms. I was then able to control the fitting of these long thin planks and make the hull true.
  2. I eliminated the center storage area and moved the cockpits closer to the center of the boat. Anybody that understands Moment Arms will see the reason for this. We realize that storage space was lost but we day paddle so this was not a problem for us.
  3. I don't like "flop down" or outboard rudders. I designed and installed an internal rudder system that is enclosed in it's own water tight compartment. It doesn't maneuver the boat. That's what the paddle is for to turn a 21' waterline. It does gently point the boat in the direction you want.
  4. I installed hatches with deck flanges and overlapping covers. I know that it doesn't look a slick as flush hatches but my storage spaces are dry.
  5. I installed a shear clamp and deck beams for added deck support. In 2006, she went back into my cellar for a larger rudder, a new steering mechanism and a lot more varnish.
As far as boat performance, it is outstanding. I was concerned with the stability of a round chine design. This is not a problem. She weighs 65 pounds. What does your Double weigh?