Submitted: 07-13-2009 by Kyle Johns

I've had the Royalex 16' Camper for a year. Most of the reviews are spot-on; this boat is stable, but it can be a pig in rough water. I would add that paddling solo on a heel (the "traditional style", although I paddle backwards from the bow seat, rather than kneeling in front of the thwart) the speed picks up and the Camper gets some secondary stability and wind resistance.

I'm still wondering about the durability of Royalex. It seems to scratch when you look at it, but I haven't had any major damage thus far. The weight advantage is awesome when you are loading it onto the car by yourself, which I am most of the time.

I'd buy it again, although I'd like it to be part of a "quiver" of boats, rather than my one and only. I'd take it out solo in anything, but I'd probably prefer a shallow V with a partner in rough water.

Silverfish