Submitted: 07-06-2000 by Margaret

Me too. Old lightweight (57lbs. I was told & that seems reasonble) 17' fiberglass Sawyer just spoiled the heck out of me. Think I bought it abt. '73. Covered a lot of river miles, tandom and solo, fast water or slow, deep, shallow (I liked the way it would skim over rocky shallows), rocky rapids and boulder gardens. Don't think it was really designed for whitewater, but it got me through some pretty fun stuff anyway, and fiberglass is easy to patch. All but effortless to paddle---fast, easy tracking and yet easy to turn. Seemed to roll pretty easily---not the most stable thing on the water, and I learned to avoid wide windy places, esp. solo. I cld. turn it on a dime, but so cld. a heavy crosswind if I didn't have a bowman to help out. I'm in the market for a new canoe and it's hard to find anything that handles so nicely.