Submitted: 07-10-2009 by Krupsch

I have a Honda Civic, and 2 Sit-on-top kayaks that are 30 inches wide (Emotion Spitfires). I went with the Hullraiser so I could fit both on the top of my car and have a rack that accommodates the width of the yaks. It works perfectly for me - once you use the straps the yaks are solid up there and I can drive without worry.

The only problem is the hooks turn - no matter how much you tighten them they turn to the side (but once the yak is in and tied down they are solid). I found I like the turning because I can push them down when not carrying the yaks and reduce wind noise. But-it's annoying when loading the yak to have to reach up and put the hook back because it twists.

Tips:
  1. I am 6 feet tall so loading is easier for me. I you are under 5'5 or have a tall vehicle - it might not be for you.
  2. Get the Boat loader. It halves the weight of the yak and makes it much easier to put it up without help. The Boat loader is like having another person there - who doesn't make comments or drink your cold water. If you can't afford the loader - get a solid broomstick and use it the same way.
  3. Tighten the hooks every time you load.
  4. Use the Yakima straps AND tie-downs (bow and stern) - it will make everything solid.