Submitted: 07-06-2000 by Bruce J. Howes

I purchased my Gulfstream on May 13, 2000 as an early birthday present for myself. Prior to purchase I did a great deal of research, both reading and asking for feedback from others, to narrow down my search. I am have been nothing short of delighted. I had wanted a boat with a skeg and day-hatch, as some other reviewers have noted, and the Gulfstream was one of the few to offer both. Having paddled several boats with moving foot braces, used for rudder control, the solid braces in the Gulfstream are a delight. The hatch covers seal great, and after much rolling practice, only a small trace of water was evident in the bulkheads. The cockpit, although a bit large for myself, is comfortable and easy to get in and out of. It is a very comfortable to boat to sit and paddle in for hours. I have found it very forgiving in letting me back in once capsized. Although I have not quite mastered unassisted reentry for the rear, with practice that should be no problem. With a paddle float self-rescues are a snap with the lower rear deck. So if you ever see some guy with short blonde hair and an army cap paddling a yellow and white Gulfstream, wave hello!

New York Kayak Co.: