Submitted: 07-07-2009 by razcob

I spent a lot of time researching canoes, before I purchased my Penobscot 164, 3 poly canoe. I have previous experience with an Old Town Appalachia with Royalex and was pleased with the weight and rigid hull. I called Old Town customer service to ask about the Penobscot canoe with Royalex and 3 poly, she mentioned the difference in weight, and said 'oil canning' was not a characteristic of the 3 poly Penobscot. After 70 miles of flat river, the middle of the hull seems to flex more than it did when new. When I solo, I can see a permanent water 'bulge' toward the center of the canoe. This may not have a significant affect, but I don't like it. I think the definition of oil canning is when the hull flexs back and forth when paddling, but this 3 poly keeps the bottom of the hull 'bulged'. The female Old Town customer service rep. also mentioned that their most efficient hull was the Charles River. This is news to me and every Old Town dealer I have spoken to.

As for the ride, the boat is moderately faster than the Appalachia and it turns good enough for me. With a slight lean and bent paddle the boat tracks good.

Did I mention I am pissed about the hull and the bad Old Town customer advice!!