Submitted: 07-06-2009 by Mac

I purchased the Loon 120 mainly for casual paddles on slower rivers but also with the idea of using it on the occasional extended trip. For the most part, I was not disappointed. I found the boat stable and responsive, and tracking was about on par with the other 12 foot yaks I had tried. There is no hard keel, so it was a little more wiggly than some, but it was also more maneuverable.

My only real complaints were the somewhat heavy weight (a polyethylene material at 52 lbs) not bad, but lighter boats always made me envious. Also, the storage and carrying capacity on longer trips was a bit if an issue. While there was room for a weeks worth of food and gear--it was tight, and I had to make liberal use of the topside bungees. And, of course, gear stashed topside invariably acted like sails which is not a friendly setup in strong winds!

Overall, though, a more than capable craft and I thought it was a good value for the money.