Submitted: 07-02-2009 by Joe

I have used this canoe for two years now and have been impressed with every aspect of it. I researched canoes a good deal, and had good knowledge of canoes in general before I bought the Ranger. The canoe was actually my second choice, at the time I was an REI employee working in the paddling/cycling area. I ordered a Mad River Explorer, but after waiting almost a year for them to send it to me I canceled my order.

The owner/builder of Ranger Canoes assured me I would be pleased with the design because its very similar to the Explorer. The Ranger paddles very nicely, maneuvers nimbly, and is a great looking boat. The bow of the canoe is not as high as some, which make paddling in windier weather better than with other boats; the downside is that large waves/ boat wakes may cause the bow paddler to get a little wet.

I've had myself and a friend out in the canoe with a weight of around 420lbs between us and had no noise or flex issues like a previous reviewer had. I have canoed with my three year old golden retriever mix in the bow and me in the stern several times with great success. The boat will feel tippy to some as it is a shallow V and not a rounded/flatter bottom. The shallow V tracks better and has good primary and secondary stability.

The price is reasonable, its a pleasure to paddle, and its a quality piece of equipment. I would recommend it to anyone with canoeing experience. Beginning paddlers may find it a bit tippy, but once they're used to it the shallow V will perform much nicer than any rounded bottom canoe.