Submitted: 07-02-2009 by TexasSea

I purchased a Kodiak in February 09. My wife and I rented and paddled several recreational boats and really enjoyed the sport. We wanted to move up to true sea kayaks, but were (and are) novices. It's a little hard to try a dozen different boats here in the middle of Texas. It's also difficult to rent anything over 14'. I originally wanted the "do everything" boat...Rivers, Ocean, Lakes, mild rapids, fishing... I finally narrowed it down to somewhere between 15-17 feet in length. I tried a Current Designs Gulfstream, An Eddyline Equinox (very early on because someone recommended it), a Necky Chatham 16 (Poly)and a Valley (Poly). My wife also tried a few (She ended up with a used, glass Wilderness Systems Tempest and loves it!)

After tons of research I decided on the Prijon Kodiak and the Necky Chathem 17. I am 6'0 and 220 lbs. Size 11 feet. I am hard on gear and usually test the limits as far as durability. My requirement's were...
a) Durability
b) Maneuverability
c) Cargo
d) Versatility
e) Price (we had to buy 2 boats)
f) performance/speed
g) looks
I bought the Prijon over the Necky simply because I hadn't had the opportunity to sit in, touch or feel a new Chatham 17 and the 16 didn't fit well. The Prijon also seemed significantly more rugged.

I couldn't be happier with my choice. Every time I paddle I think that I have the perfect boat. It was a little "tippy" at first but that was gone in about the first 20 minutes of the first 3 trips. I played in our pool with it and it's much more stable that it seems. I highly recommend testing the limits early on if you're a newbie like me. It gave me tons of confidence. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is that I haven't paddled everything out there and I probably wouldn't give anything a 10 anyway. I can't think of one single thing that I would change. I've practiced rolling it (unsuccessful in our pool but, I'm new to the sport and I have never had any rolling training. It was a whim one day. I was very close to being successful. With a rolling lesson or two, I think I have it. It's certainly not the boat's fault). I love this boat and I was worried about buyer's remorse. No remorse at all. I can't recommend the Kodiak highly enough. Customer service from Prijon was also very attentive when I contacted for info re: Kodiak before purchase.

I hope this review helps someone as much the previous reviewers helped me. Especially if you can't try a ton of boats.

Ocean Rodeo Sports: