Submitted: 07-01-2009 by rickmannow

This seems to be the same kayak as the Perception Rhythm 11. The picture I can find are identical right down to the rigging.

I find that I like everything about this kayak except for one thing, the tracking. The kayak is easy to paddle, going at least a half mph faster than my Equinox 124 for the same paddling effort. It is not quite as stable, but is still good. It has a lot more room for my feet and legs and the seat is very comfortable. I don't think I have enough experience with different kayaks to rate the ease of turning.

But the tracking is definitely far worse than the Equinox 124. The Equinox is a rock. In calm water it just goes in the direction it is pointed. I don't have to pay any attention to it, I just paddle and every 10 to 20 seconds look to see if I have paddled off course at all and correct a bit. The Rhythm 11 is always on the hairy edge of making a turn and if my attention wanders for more than two strokes, it is cutting a turn and I have to fully extend the paddle to one side for a couple of hard turning strokes to get it back on course. In rough water (like power boat wakes) it needs constant adjustments to keep it on track. This is especially true for wake coming up from behind. They will push the boat into a turn and then the boat takes over and turns hard. The back side of the wake is not enough to counter the turn at that point and I have to correct hard.

In quiet creeks when I am trying to creep up on wildlife, I can stop paddling that Equinox and it will just follow its nose. I have lost many a picture because the Rhythm wants to make a turn which can take me too close to the wildlife and scare it away before I can get the picture.

So I am still looking for the perfect kayak. I am going to try a Pungo 120, the Necky Manitou 11 and a Dagger Blackwater 10.5 or 12.