Submitted: 07-01-2009 by Valdis

I have owned this kayak for about four years and am extremely happy with it. I paddle mostly in the lower Hudson river and it has handled winds, swells and confused currents with ease. With the rudder deployed tracking is excellent. I find that I can easily keep up with the lighter glass and kevlar boats (I'm a strong paddler).

This boat is 15'8" long and at 22" is narrow, that combined with the keel design makes makes primary stability seem slightly tippy, but secondary stability is excellent - - these features combined provide for good speed. On a few occasions I have looked at upgrading to a more expensive glass boat, but after testing them I realized that my Alto performs just as well.

I'm 6'0" and 185# and find that the cockpit is a perfect fit. The seat is very comfortable and because it is tall it provides good back support. This particular model is no longer available from Wilderness Systems, but if you can pick up a used one for less than $800 or so, you will be pleased with the performance. This kayak is an all-round solid performer.

NRS: