Submitted: 06-30-2009 by getmoresoon
We picked up two 2009 Polyethylene Manitou 14's this spring at one of the local outfitters here in NB. 1st impressions: Attractive, reasonably light, bomb-proof durability, and EXCELLENT value for the money! Probably the thing that has impressed me most is how my 5'1" wife has taken to it... she is by no means a watersports person, and the Manitou has proven to be a stable and comfortable craft for her.

They track exceptionally well. I only find the skeg to be necessary if the wind comes up. That said, turning just requires proper paddling technique (which I'll admit I'm still learning). And it is light enough for those smaller of us to easily manage out of the water too. It's also not a bad fishing platform, and I intend to add rod holders to mine soon. Not so sure on the watertightness of the Neoprene Hatch covers as others have said... I practiced rolling mine, and had it upside down for several minutes... while there wasn't a pile of water in the fore and aft hatches, there was certainly enough to soak your gear.. dry bags are probably a good idea! Foot Peg system is easy to operate and seems much sturdier than others I've looked at. The ExtraSport seat is really very comfortable, but you HAVE TO adjust it right, or it will totally suck. BTW, attempting to figure this out for the 1st time WHILE on the water has a high likelihood of NOT going or ending well...

I only give it an 8 because I've not tried any similar craft to compare. (Just my Dirigo Tandem plus and Manitou II Tandem.. and those are barges in comparison!)