Submitted: 06-29-2009 by Ed

I have a Dagger Reflection 16 I bought used around 2000. It had almost no use on it and was stored properly outdoors under a solid deck cover, no sun exposure. I stored it the same way, but after one winter (Denver, CO area) I noticed some long cracks originating from the gunwales and extending down towards the bottom. I called Dagger when they were still making canoes, and was told after much discussion, the reason for the cracks was the aluminum gunwales expand and contract at a different rate than the Royalex of the hull. I haven't used it since, although I've inquired about repair materials to bond and fill in the cracks with looking unsightly, but I never get any satisfactory information on it, so I've hesitated repairing it. I've considered removing the gunwales, elongating each rivet hole in the Royalex slightly, then riveting the gunwales back on if & when I repair the hull.