Submitted: 06-27-2009 by Barb

We had an opportunity to buy two used Kestrel 120's (one of them the HV), our first kayaks. I agree with everything good that's been said about this kayak. I'm not knowledgeable enough to be sure of terms, but what I would call the "glide" is amazing. I've had no paddling lessons, but with each stroke I'm amazed at the glide, and the speed I can reach so quickly. so very smooth! We use them on our local lakes and rivers.

My husband's first experience in the 120 felt too "tipsy." He said he felt "it was trying to throw me out." I don't think he gave it enough chance to see that it is very stable, think it was more psychological and he was "over correcting." I had none of these problems from the beginning (but then I'm the athlete in the family....) But he went and bought an Old Towne Vapor. Now we have an extra Current Design for friends to use.

I'm trying to get him to race, which he hasn't been willing to do. I know it's because he can see how my Kestrel 120 MOVES! Not cool to have your 57 year old wife beat you!! I would like no skid strips or something in the center of the boat to allow me to keep my knees bent and feet on floor, for change of position. Will check if something like this exists! I love this kayak!