Submitted: 06-26-2009 by rickmannow

This is the Equinox 124 sold by Costco. I think this is actually made by Future Beach, so I am posting this here. This kayak is a 10'4" version of the Future Beach Trophy 126, but without the fishing gear. It comes with a Future Beach paddle and a car top carrier setup which is a couple of foam blocks and some tie downs. I got mine for $330.

This was my first kayak and I thought it was a great deal. I found myself doing several miles a day and not getting too tired once I got used to it. It is rock stable and tracks like it is on rails! I find this is perfect for sneaking up on wild life since as soon as I see a heron or a beaver I can freeze and the kayak will continue on its course without veering into the bank to turning away. Slowing to a crawl the kayak will just keep drifting and not startle the animal until I am almost on top of it. I can see why this would be a desirable kayak for fishing.

My only complaints are that at 50 lbs, it is a little on the heavy side for a 10 foot kayak. It is a bit slower than my other kayak, a Rhythm 11, and the quality of construction is not so good. I don't think there are any major flaws, but the first one I bought dropped the bulkhead for the rear compartment. It had so little glue on it, that it actually just fell out of place! Rather than to mess with fixing it, I took it back to Costco and got another. That one had a better glue job on the bulkhead, but the first time I put it in the water, I found one of the bolts holding the knee pad had fallen off! Fortunately the special nut was found inside the boat and I can put it back in easily. But clearly, the low cost (and likely profit margin) is showing in the quality. Still, these are rather minor things in the real world and I enjoy this as a second kayak.

I am 6'1" and 210 lbs so that I find my toes are a bit cramped. The dry compartment in the front takes some space from the foot area. Still, I can spend three or four hours in this kayak and enjoy the trip. The seat is mostly responsible for this. It is pretty dense, thick foam rubber and is pretty comfortable.

New York Kayak Co.: