Submitted: 06-18-2009 by Barracuda
Notice I wrote the first review of the Disco (May 1, 2007). The boat has not changed, but I have.
When I bought the boat about a year and a half ago I weighed 215#. It was like sitting in a bathtub half full of water. With all that water, and the extra weight, I actually found it sluggish. I am a SOT guy and I don't expect a dry ride, but that was too much water. Especially for early season in the Sierras when the water is cold. I don't believe in scupper plugs. Scupper Frank, who is also about 215#, albeit about six inches taller than me, came to the same conclusion.

I have lost about 30# and down to 185#. I am really liking it much better now. It actually has become my preferred ride lately. The foot wells still fill with water. I wear knee high boots to keep feet and legs warm. It does have a slight rocker to it, I think.

It is very quiet. I just can not stand a loud boat. I sold a fiberglass Heritage Nomad because the hull slap drove me crazy.
It is a convenient size and weight. Its pretty well balanced and easy to rack. Its got very good glide for a 14' boat, and the low profile is very good for paddling into the wind.

RTM used to make Ocean Kayak boats for Europe. I think they still use the OK plastic, which I have found to be very durable. As far as the rigging, I don't really know. Like most plastic boats I buy, I immediately took a rivet gun to it and re-rigged the whole thing. I replaced the steel rings with nylon eyes, just because I know the eyes work! I never did install the front hatch. I just don't like hatches.

I have even heard complaints from very light paddlers it is tippy. Maybe in comparison to the typical 32" wide SOT, but not at all compared to most sit in boats. I does have a very round displacement hull.

I will stick by my original review. I Don't think its well suited to paddlers much over 190#. But I do think it really is all that, IF you are the right size, and weight for it.