Submitted: 06-12-2009 by Tim

Great buy for the money. I have no idea why some say this is a tippy canoe. I have had absolutely no problems in that respect. I take it out solo for fishing, and tandem with my wife and a very bouncy 65 pound dog. We have not once had any issue with stability. It's a canoe - they tip. If you don't freak out and simply let it do what it's got to do, you won't be getting wet.

For solo paddling from the front seat facing the stern, I have found that you will need a little weight in the front to trim it out. Otherwise it will rise in the front and you will be subject to wind. I mounted a dock cleat to the inner gunwhale for tying off my anchor while fishing. I hang the anchor out the front of the boat and run the line through the hole in the carry handle deck. This makes for a great pully system for raising/lowering the anchor, and while underway the anchor makes the perfect weight to trim the front of the canoe while soloing.

While a little heavy, any male should be able to easily lift this boat on top of a truck or suv by themselves, I do it all the time.

The boat can get more responsive and turn quicker by aggressively leaning it while turning. Again, I have no idea why people complain about it being "Tippy".
And as for the scratching - polyethylene scratches. That's the nature of the material. It will take a beating and keep going. The only thing I would worry about with this boat is the seat mounts. They look as if they might be the first thing in the boat to break.

If you are looking for a super-fast boat, well pony up the money for a boat that is designed for it. For the money, this is a great all-around boat.

Botetourt County Tourism: